Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Obama Presidential Campaign … Remembered for more than the obvious

Many will remember President Obama’s campaign for the white house because he is the first black president, one of the youngest Presidents of the United States (5th youngest if you want to be exact), the Obama children will be the youngest to be raised in the white house since Amy Carter in 1976. For me (although all of these are great things to be remembered for), I will remember the Obama Presidential Campaign most because of their use of social media.


As mentioned in my previous post on Zappos and Tony Hsieh, I have learned a lot from studying other social media masters. How can you be the best if you don’t learn from them? The Obama Presidential Campaign is the second Master of social media for business that I am going to focus on.

Regardless of your personal views of Obama as President, his policies, if you voted for him, ect... I urge you to read on. I am Canadian, so I am not a voter or supporter.

Have you heard of or Read the book Barack 2.0 “Barack Obama’s Social Media Lessons for Business”? If not I STRONGLY suggest that you do! (you can buy it here http://www.barack20.com/  ) I have a copy and have read through it multiple times… this was one of the best purchases I have made in my career. (no I am not being paid to endorse this concept… I simply truly believe that it works)



The book is accompanied by an interactive online companion, and will teach you so much! The premise of this book is teach you how to put the tools and strategies to Work for your Business. All based on the tools and strategies that helped the Obama Campaign connect, engage and communicate with millions. It is not a secret that part of the success of Obama’s campaign came from his internet presence. He reached millions of people and allowed them to become engaged in his campaign by allowing them to feel they were important to him and becoming a part of history!

Facts about the campaign:
• He has over 2379102 supporters
• He has over 833161 friends on my space
• His You Tube has over 114559 subscribers and 18,413,100 channel views
• His Twitter has over 2338865 followers
• He sent over 1 billion e-mails during the campaign
• He has 500+ conections on Linked-In (remember Linked-In does not show past that)
• In total Obama has over 5 million supporters on Social Media Networking Sites
• He had over 3 million people donate to his campaign online
• He has over 120 widgets
• His online staff was 10 – 1 against McCain’s
• He started his own social network (http://www.mybarackobama.com/) and over 2 million people have profiles on it

Obama’s Presidential Campaign was the most successful “small business” use of social media that I can find!

I am excited to hear what your thoughts are.

Bek

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I live in India and have watched a few of the Presidential campaigns on TV, at least from the time Bill Clinton came to power and for somebody who watches the campaigns on TV and knows America through books,movies and TV and the occassional conversation with Americans, I can say that the mass euphoria I witnessed after Obama's win I had not witnessed in any of the campaigns. I think for this reason it was a very interesting campaign.

    ReplyDelete